The Sisters by Rosalind Noonan Review



Hello again! Mommy Reads here! :) Every now and then, I like to go out of my comfort zone and try a different kind of book. I usually don't read books like The Sisters but the blurb intrigued me and it was a hit! Loved it! Although the subject is touchy and taboo, I found myself unable to stop reading and was rooting for Glory and Luna to escape and be able to reconnect with Ruby and Aurora. It was a suspenseful read that kept me wanting to know what would happen next. 

Here's a quick synopsis:
Twelve years ago, Glory abandoned her two young daughters at a fire station to run of to a man who promised her love and protection. She soon finds out the refuge she hoped for turned out to be a sham but she believes her daughters are better off without her. 

Now sixteen years old, Ruby loves her adoptive parents but she never forgot her birth mother. With her newly driver's license, she sets out on a search to find her. What she finds is a rundown house full of castaway women who call themselves "The Sisters" and ruled by a charismatic bully who monitor their every move. 

Glory would take her 10 year old daughter away from the cult if she had a place to go. Luna is not allowed to venture outside and confined to the attic as a punishment if she doesn't follow the rules. When Ruby makes contact with her birth mother, Glory sees her chance to get away.  

The first part of the novel was emotional and difficult to read. Glory, a young widow after her husband was killed in a car accident in Alaska where he worked, abandons her two young girls at a fire station and joins the Sisters. Fortunately, Ruby and Aurora are placed in a good home with loving parents. The story is told in multiple POVs but the most important ones are Glory, Ruby and Luna's. 

I've rushed through this book, I couldn't get enough of the characters. My heart was broken over Glory's decision to abandon her daughters to join a cult. I understood her decision to want to give them a better life but still. As for Luna, she was so brave for her age. Always locked in the attic, unable to venture outside. 

Overall, this was out of my reading comfort zone but I did enjoy the book. I would definitely recommend it!

My rating: 4 stars

No comments

Post a Comment